Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Holes by Louis Sachar for SPM Literature in English 2008-10

Splendid, splendid story! I enjoyed this book thoroughly eventhough I am no longer a kid. Perhaps because I am a kid at heart (rolled eyes). There is just no putting that book down till I was done!

I am glad that it is a book of study for the SPM Literature in English elective paper, cycle 2008-2010 eventhough I feel that it is more appropriate for PMR, mainly because, SPM kids should tackle more mature stuff. Nonetheless, it is a lighthearted book which discusses some pretty serious issues. So, you've guessed it. I chose to teach this text. Wonder what returns I get from this gamble...lesser groans perhaps...?

And if you get the chance to watch the movie, by Disney (http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/liveaction/holes/main.html), it is a great way to reaffirm the power of your imagination (not that you get to watch it at the above url). The main character Stanley Yelnets is actually acted by Shia LeBeouf, who got famous from acting in Transformers (motivation enough?). But surely you should only watch it after you've read the book because the story is sure to differ from the movie. Needless to say, I enjoyed the movie as well (and so did my students). I even introduced this book to students who aren't taking the elective paper, even younger ones, and teased them with a preview of the movie with the promise of the real thing after they were done reading. Worked like a charm!! Managed to transform some bookworms (am such a witch!) ...

So what is the point of this entry? I dunno really, I've just come to upgrade the technological incompetent brain server of mine to understanding how not to make this blog obsolete and place the information (blog content) appropriately... I do want to discuss Holes further but realise this thing archives not by subject... so now, I've got to rewire my thought and writing circuits when it comes to blogging exam stuff so that there is no continuation of subject matter... hrm...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you have any notes for cinderella girl? can u post it? thanks!
it's a relief that i actually found this blog website.. ^^

tweekawit said...

Hi Sheila,
I am afraid if you are doing this paper, notes won't really help you. Rather it's how you answer questions that will get you to ace the paper. If you have the complete text, what i can do is start a Q&A session on this blogsite but it will be accessible by the public. So i will sort of comment on your answers on this public domain. R u game?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I need some assistance in getting the short stories. Do let me know by email. mine is nefarious_girl_2005@yahoo.com

Thankew!